Thursday, 14 February 2013

descendants and dreamers

descendants & dreamers

quietly busy this week - I have been working on new embroidery and paintings... completing this new embroidery portrait today. 'Descendants and Dreamers' is a detailed work with a pleasing combination of hues.. I think the story here is quite simple to find a way into - and maybe you can see how I continue to be inspired by historical painting and portraiture. The name Descendants reminds me of one of my favourite paintings of the Tudor era by Rowland Lockey. Yet in my humbler work of dancing stitches I am hinting at various different eras... I see here Tudor/Elizabethan and Victorian echoes.... but as always I leave the dream door open for you to ponder....



Also recently I've been working out ideas in paint - making use of colour, hints of watercolour tones here and there, creating evocative moments.... Here below is a portrait I have titled 'visionary: a folk portrait"

I'll be  updating my shop on Saturday - with yes new embroidery and paintings....

visionary

7 comments:

CB said...

I love that pop of yellow and they all look so serene! Thank you for such a lovely image

MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Your watercolour lady has a slight blush, thing of her Valentine no doubt!!

Norma Conway said...

A stunning watercolour. I bet that presence on her shoulder has a thing or two to say to her at times. This is so awesome Cathy. *smiles* Norma, x

Cathy Cullis said...

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments x

Les bijoux sonores said...

Great watercolour ...

Morna C-M said...

I like your fiber framing. :-)

Lisa Graham Art said...

The fiber art is fantastic and reminds me of my mother and her mother and sisters. Your watercolor is wonderful as well. I love art that has just a hint of color.