Monday, 12 January 2015

mosaic Monday

mosaic Monday 

1. ., 2. A whispering downrush of white, 3. arbutus unedo dyeing, 4. Untitled, 5. House with big tree, 6. Jan 11/15, 7. 93p02 cropped, 8. Wall, 9. this was the most dangerous time, 10. winter catwalk, 11. Night falls in Amsterdam., 12. Madonna della Misericordia - sorry Renaissance Masters, I couldn't resist, 13. Untitled, 14. Carlos Fossatti - Xilografía, 15. Moleskine doodle, 16. Untitled, 17. Purple flowers in vase, by Catie - DSC08342, 18. Untitled, 19. Untitled, 20. mazizimatstorm2


Happy Monday - a dark and damp start to another January week here - my main 'defense' for getting through these dark days is painting spring flowers and using colour, what is yours? Many thanks to all the artists, makers and photographers featured in this week's mosaic. Please follow links to discover more. Aways a pleasure to look through the photos over at Flickr.

This week I am, yes, painting spring flowers and other things besides. I am working toward my next shop update which is a week on Wednesday - that's 21st of January. Until then I hope to share some of the new work I am making. Meanwhile, I posted some new writing over at nevering yesterday. I am trying to make more time for writing this year as I need/want to complete a book-length work.

Debra asked me to say a little more about my working day. Most mornings, Monday to Saturday, I spend time working in my sketchbooks and moving between various visual projects. I usually work until at least one, one thirty and then have a late lunch. Any blogging, editing photos etc.. usually gets done in my after-lunch time. Evenings are sometimes spent catching up with emails.

I have come to accept that some mornings will be more satisfying than others, and there will be days when a morning's work will add up to little-to-show-for-it. Other days will be a lot happier and fruitful. That is just the way it goes, working creatively, and it is pointless setting oneself targets that cannot be met, or making projects up that put the artist under pressure that is not positive but makes her unhappy or depressed. I know that looking back over several weeks, I will see a pattern of hits and misses, and not-quites. All the work I make is kept, just about, though a few things can be binned immediately if they really don't feel right - but I tend to hold on to things and then put them away and look again. It is easy to fall in love with the latest thing and disregard the ideas from yesterday or last week - so I like to see things not as daily achievement but look back over a month and then consider.

This is one of the reasons why I am now focusing on a monthly shop update. I like to be able to look over the work I have made, over the past few weeks, and contemplate again. Then I can see what I feel is my best work and how it fits together.

I'll show more about process and how I approach ideas - in the weeks ahead. Now I am contemplating the rainy weather, and wondering if we have a working umbrella in the house. Have good start to your week.

4 comments:

Sonia / Cozy Memories said...

I loved reading about your working day rhythm. :)
Thank you SO much for including my photo, my friend, it does mean the world to me (specially right now). Sending you lots of hugs & positive vibes. oxox

Tina Gilmore said...

Lovely post Cathy and really interesting to hear about your working life. I also love to look back over past work that i wasn't entirely happy with at the time i created it and yes, you do see it differently on occasion. You recently inspired me to "cleanse" my art studio and i can now focus on what i really want to do, i've found many happy mistakes along the way it's been like christmas all over again! xx

Cathy Cullis said...

Thanks always Sonia xx

Cathy Cullis said...

Thanks Tina, I am pleased to know you are finding a happy way forward and can reflect positively on previous work. I believe it is vital to focus on what is important to you creatively, so I look forward to seeing xx