Sunday, 4 January 2015

sketchbook Sunday

A happy new year to you - this is always a slightly strange time for me, feeling rather anxious and excited about the months ahead, after all a new year is in some ways an artificial new beginning, isn't it? The last few months of 2014 were very interesting for me, making some decisions on what I did and did not want to explore for a while.

So, the year ahead for me is going to be very much sketchbook-focused -  sketchbooks as my 'homeground', my centre point and way forward. From my sketchbooks will, I hope, evolve further paintings and other works in different media - and writing too. (There will also be a series of printed postcards to collect - but more on that later.)

So I am bringing back a few 'old favourites' for this blog in 2015. Sketchbook Sunday returns, where I will share a selection, not all, but a selection of recent sketchbook pages. And on Monday, mosaic Monday returns! There's more news to come over the weeks ahead. But for now let me share with you some recent sketchbook works. I continued to work in my sketchbooks over the holiday period, I felt the need to continue to work at least a little each day and enjoyed the process and challenge of pushing paint around the page. I don't wish to give too much dialogue to the pages themselves. Though the shapes may seem abstracted, 'simple' in some ways, they evolved over many layers and many decisions, accidents and chance-taking. The pages in the small books I work within often get stuck together and very heavy with paint. I hope you find some interesting textures and stories here.








13 comments:

Jess said...

Your sketchbook drawings have a depth that's very inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing them here. :-)
Exciting plans ahead that I look forward to! Happy new year Cathy.
Jess xx

Cathy Cullis said...

Thanks always Jess!

Charlotte said...

I do like your sketchbooks, full of verve and energy

Cathy Cullis said...

Thank you!

Els said...

Love your little paintings !

A happy creative year !!!

Norma Conway said...

Happiest of times to you, Cathy! Your paintings are so free and fluid and moving and yet with so few details they tell volumes. I could study these for a long time, just going over the page with my eye, and circling round again. I think your painting style is beginning to burst out now. I do look forward to your future work therefore. The colours!!! Love your work always. Norma, x

Cathy Cullis said...

Thank you Els!

Thanks always and best wishes to you Norma, so good to hear from you x

Sonia / Cozy Memories said...

Happy new year dear and sweet friend !
I'm more in love with your work each year that passes by. So I'm very looking forward to following your creativity this year !
many hugs oxox

Cathy Cullis said...

Thank you Sonia, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to your creations also, best wishes always xx

maureen nathan said...

I find this very exciting and look forward to your coming year with pleasure!

Cathy Cullis said...

Thank you Maureen and I look forward to seeing your new work in this year ahead!

Tina Gilmore said...

Happy new year Cathy, glad to see the return of a few old favourites, your sketchbooks are truly lovely with all sorts of stories emerging. So looking forward to sharing the year with you in blog land and seeing what emerges. xxx

Cathy Cullis said...

Thanks always Tina and best wishes for your year ahead xx