Friday, 15 May 2015

in a landscape

As you may know - even if you glance at my work just once in a while - I work in different yet overlapping ways. My embroidery is very much about detail and storytelling, and it is about craft. I have worked hard at developing my own style of stitching over a number of years and feel that I have reached a certain level of expertise.

And then there is the painting..... which means a lot to me. My paintings, in differing ways, explore a more ambiguous story or telling, they tend more and more toward the abstract. My thinking is not to over-think. As a young student looking at large-scale paintings in public galleries I felt my best way into understanding a painting was not to look at the whole thing exactly, or if I did I would squint or look at it sideways. I was interested in details within, a certain colour, a fold in a painted dress, or a coming together of brushstrokes, as a few examples. I still look at paintings this way: I look to find areas and details, colours that I can relate to in the moment of looking.

For the past few years I've been experimenting with different forms, traditional styles and so on. But I know I tend toward exploring what matters to me as an explorer, a maker of images, and because I want to make work that says: I've come on a journey, I've been on a quest to find something, big or small. I like to make paintings that are dense and have interesting marks and colour choices. Landscape suggests to me a space without neat borders, whether filled with trees or concrete. I am interested in the changing colours of the English landscape and how landscape painters of the past have used colour to convey certain moods.

child in a landscape

child in a landscape

figures in a landscape

figures in a landscape

a lady and a gentleman

a lady and a gentleman

These works will be in my shop next Wednesday.

No comments: