Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Making Connections - upcoming show



Making Connections - 15th - 26th July Sun Pier Gallery, Chatham Kent.

Last year I was asked by ceramics artist Alison Swan if I might like to 'share connections' and participate in a group show. The idea behind the show is to find and explore connections between artists working in different media. Alison and I agreed that we do indeed share an interest in memory and storytelling. And so we began a correspondence, deciding on what to include. It was agreed that alongside the ceramic shoes Alison creates I would show a small selection of gouache portraits from my work last year, plus a selection of tiny books and sketchbooks - a chance to display a little of my eclectic book-based work.

The other artists featured in this group-curated show work with a variety of media. The group have worked in pairs to establish connections. Most of the group are local to each other, but Alison and I have worked 'long distance' on this project as of course I am in Surrey and she is in Kent.

Alison Swan's exquisite shoes may be the starting point for many stories and conversations. The shoes have a beauty of strength and suggestion of vulnerability: a gentle, quiet presence.

If you get the chance to visit this exhibition please do. Below are examples of ceramic shoes by Alison Swan.





3 comments:

Carolyn Saxby said...

Very best wishes to you all for a successful show ... wish I could get there to see

jo headington said...

How wonderful!
Yes - these shoes and your portraits make perfect connections!
I adore the characters you create. And these dainty, little shoes...
Wish I could explore the entire exhibition.
Congratulations Cathy!

Cathy Cullis said...

Thanks so much Carolyn and Jo - much appreciated - Cathyx