Tuesday, 25 August 2015

works on paper - stories in colour

After some consideration I have come to understand that I love my embroidery work and want it to be my focus, but do not want to stop painting. The painting and the embroidery together allow me to explore a wide range of ideas and storytelling. I wish to suggest stories, to offer ways-in to narratives and to give hints and provoke ideas. Rather than say 'this is one story', I prefer to suggest many in one. It's been a pleasure over the years for me to share my painting work and for people to tell me what they see and they stories they find within.....

I am happy now with my plans for the future: working in my embroidery studio and also painting as time allows. You will see a new series of works on paper appearing in my shop over the coming weeks and months. I wish to continue to explore both 'figure stories' and still life. Here is a selection of work to come.....

damask days

'damask days'


still life - dark jug with rich flowers

'dark jug with rich flowers'

in-between days

'in-between days'

9 comments:

Judy Hartman said...

I have loved your embroidered work, Cathy. Now it is such a pleasure to see paintings in your unmistakeable style! Looking forward to more!

Marilyn said...

I am so pleased you are continuing with all your beautiful work, always a pleasure to see and read everything you do.

Jess said...

I love your embroidery, it's so beautiful. I look forward to seeing more! :) x

Bridgette Mills said...

your embroidery is exquisite, but I also really enjoy your paintings. I think they both inform each other. I have trouble myself balancing all the different media I enjoy.

Cathy Cullis said...

thank you all for your kind and thoughtful comments x

jo headington said...

I must admit that I found you through your writing, painting and sketchbook blogs Cathy, but admire your embroidery very much. I love your writing and find such a connection between your written characters and your painted ones - your still life paintings evoke such a sense of place and even time (just as your writing does). I look forward to viewing your latest works on paper :)

Rebecca Lawrence said...

I love your style no matter what medium you choose!

♥ tinyWOOLF ♥ said...

the in-between days appeal so, for varied (story) reasons, but then your work is always dreamy enough to set my mind going. such a dark joy. n♥

susan hemann said...

just love damask days! picture books are not just for children, they are for those who have not lost their imagination! We need more adult picture books