Sunday, 11 October 2015

playfulness - sketchbook Sunday

There are many uses for a sketchbook, but just sometimes a paper page is not the best option for 'working out', 'making marks', 'just doing' etc... There are times when I want to work with thick paint and really get to feel it and explore colour in a playful way that leads me in many directions at once. It is through this considered playfulness (if that is not an oxymoron) - it is through working in this way that I can discover new ideas about colour, shape, pattern, tone, whatever.



So putting aside my sketchbooks for a while, I have been exploring small scale abstract paintings using heavy paint, on linen fixed to card. I am working small for practical reasons, not the least the fact that these take a lot of paint (and the quality paints I like to use are not inexpensive).

I understand not everyone 'gets' this kind of work - but I invite you to see and consider how so many ideas may come about, perhaps not right away, but through the action and experience of working in this way I can see all kinds of possibilities. A colour combination I may see will perhaps one day work its way into an embroidery portrait, or a shape may become a pattern in another painting. For the meditative process of painting and exploring in this way, these small abstracts have something I enjoy....







4 comments:

Julie Kirk said...

I love abstract works in general - maybe as I like colours, shapes and the emotion/expression you can find in them. These are lovely examples.

Sue Marrazzo said...

nice

sMacThoughts said...

I'm really enjoying your colors. (Saw this on Flickr, as well).

jo headington said...

Love to see you getting stuck into paint!
Though I have been enjoying your character paintings and embroideries immensely!