Tuesday, 6 October 2015

words in stitches

a work-in-progress shot (it's been a dark and rainy day)

I'm continuing to explore improvised writing and stitch.... and have just completed a book made of fabric and thread 'toward a poem'.... using my own hand dyed (plant dyed) fabric and cotton threads.

The written word in stitch is of course nothing new. From ancient banners and flags, to hand embroidered samplers, to stitching names in clothing - the word in thread has a long history. My approach in the past has been to write poetry 'for stitch' and then using my sewing machine as a handwriting tool I have created a range of works.


These days I am working in an improvised way, considering my ideas around writing, the writing process, the natural world, stream-of-consciousness writing.... The improvised texts I am currently stitching share something about how my brain ticks over, what fascinates me about the creative process... loose and tangled threads express more about the layers of thought and strands of memory that go into my work.... If this sounds a little complicated it is quite a tricky process but the end results are 'simply' presented.

I like to write quickly with words spilling or slipping over the edge and threads caught at the edges, as if words are somehow falling away or running off (like paint) the page....

detail view of: 'towards a poem'

'towards a poem' - stitched book

you will be able to see more photographs when this special piece is in my shop tomorrow (and at a special price too)....

*
Tomorrow's update will include: new stitched works, including a couple of poetry hearts, new painted books and at least one painting.

9 comments:

Janine said...

Beautiful work as always!

Svala said...

Hi, I watch your blog for a month now, and these poemsare amazing ;)

http://lenaachtelik.blogspot.com/

Norma Conway said...

Cathy! So lovely and strong is your work. Unique. Intriguing. Layered in meanings. Hidden treasure this mind-stuff is dear friend. WOW!!! Love your work as ever, N, x p.s. and then to honour nature by dying your thread. It just gets better...

Marilyn said...

Absolutely amazing work Cathy, I love it.

susan hemann said...

stunning!

jo headington said...

Very expressive work Cathy.
I love the concept and process and of course the words - your words, as ever, delightful.
Congratulations.

Helmi said...

Beautiful!

lespetitsbohemes said...

Hi
Would really want purchase one ; can you please let me know as soon as you have new one in stock . Thanks in advance lespetitsbohemes gmail.com Mathilde

Cathy Cullis said...

Thanks for your interest. Please check my shop on Wednesdays for new works. Due to time limits and the number of people interested I am not able to email. Thanks for your interest.