Tuesday, 29 March 2016

new embroidery



a spring garden

'spring garden' - a miniature embroidery artwork.... a few notes on this piece: over time I've created several miniature compositions featuring two figures in a garden, often with a tree as the third focal point. I'm inspired particularly by old woodcuts, engravings and hand-stitched samplers - but at the same time these really my own designs. I wanted here to convey the feel of a tinted engraving, keeping the garden 'simple' with colour to the two figures, giving them the colours of the garden....

Often the reverse side to a piece lends an interesting alternate story - a little more abstract and intriguing. This one reminds me of a moment caught in time, almost like a frame from a dark animation.... (Which has got me thinking about animation and how I could do something, perhaps a thread to follow.....)


other side: a spring garden

This piece measures 10cm x 9.5cm - and will be in my shop tomorrow.

Just one other embroidery piece to show you before tomorrow:


portrait of a lady in blue - a larger embroidery brooch with a gentle spring feel......




3 comments:

Helmi said...

Beautiful!!!

Norma Conway said...

Cathy what joy to see your work. So lovely. Beautiful. Love them.

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

Absolutely love everything you do